Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

...to Make Donut Holes after Two Margaritas.

Have you ever been to happy hour at On the Border?  I am here to tell you it is spectacular.  Go for the chicken empanadas and strawberry margarita(s).  I went a few weeks ago, and mostly it was spectacular because of the cheap prices and good company, but definitely worth a trip.  So I ate a lot, and a drank a couple margaritas, and after all of that, we still wanted dessert!  Okay, mostly I wanted dessert, but no one complained.

Now, I don't drink often, and when I do, I don't have that much.  Drinking is expensive.  But I'm all over happy hour when they've got strawberry margaritas.  I wasn't drunk.  I was a little "tired" and a little not myself.  A little more happy and ambitious than usual.  We all went back to the house, and I insisted on making donut holes for everyone.

I've done it before.  It's not that hard.  My go-to recipe is here.  Basically it involves mixing a bunch of ingredients and then dropping spoonfuls into boiling oil.  Normally they look like this:

Okay, maybe not this perfect.  These are not the ones that I made.
As I danced around the kitchen throwing inaccurate amounts of ingredients into one big bowl, I thought to myself, Two margaritas + dancing + boiling pot of oil = awesome.  Now don't worry, I didn't get any major burns.  Maybe a little oil splatter here and there as I dropped in my too-runny donut batter from a little too high, a little too excited about making these donuts.  

Well, I had the oil way too hot, for starters.  The donut holes began to burn after like, seven seconds.  Also, because the batter was so runny, it fell from my spoon in a fine drizzle which became brown immediately upon entering the too hot oil.  Consequently, I was left with what looked like some sort of stringy root, or perhaps deep fried rodent.  I think I see a squirrel in there.

My very special potato-root-donut-hole-cream-filling surprises!
Oh, and because they burnt so fast, I took them out too soon.  The insides were basically liquid because they didn't have time to cook through entirely.  My friends actually asked what I filled them with.  At least batter is tasty, raw egg and all.  If you ever plan on making donut holes, here's a helpful hint:  Fill a big Ziploc bag with cinnamon and sugar and throw the donut holes in there after you let them cool a minute.  It hides burnt flavor and makes them look a little more like dessert and less like balls of overcooked dough (not that you can tell by the picture).

Cinnamon/Sugar forgives all sins.
We ate every last bite.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha those things look absolutely disgusting! I bet they are delicious though. Can't really ever go wrong with deep frying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also look like tadpoles!

    ReplyDelete