Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

...Enchilada Cupcakes.

If only everything came in cupcake form, I think the world would be a better place.  Only evil people hate cupcakes, I'm told.  One - they're adorable.  Two - perfect for "portion control" (because we all stick to a single cupcake, right?).  And three - the possibilities really are endless!  

 White cupcake, apple pie filling, cinnamon frosting.  Delicious.
 Strawberry cupcake, cream cheese frosting, fresh strawberry topping.  Delicious.
  Chocolate cupcake, chocolate mousse filling, chocolate frosting.  The triple-threat.  Delicious.

But we don't have all day to make lists, here.  Let's get to the good stuff.  Dinner Cupcakes.  Craving dessert tonight, but can't break that diet just yet since you only started two day ago?  Have no fear, let Dinner Cupcakes help!  The feeling of dessert without all the calories!  Okay, maybe with all the calories, depending on how you make them.  But here's a meal that isn't so bad.  

 Enchilada Cupcakes.  Super delicious.

I adapted this recipe from the one here at Emily Bites, a girl who apparently loves cupcake dinners as well, because she's got a boatload of them.  And guys, guess what.  It's not that hard, and it's not that unhealthy, especially with some slight modification.  Follow along with me, or skim the pictures and try it yourself!

Gather all your ingredients.  If you're going for healthy, read the labels.  I check everything on the MyFitnessPal app when I'm making a meal like this, and then I know exactly how much I'm allowed to pig out.  Because I undoubtedly want to.  Here's what I used:

-1 pack 93/7 Ground Beef (instead of chicken, because I'm lazy)
-Undetermined amount of Reduced Fat Shredded Cheese
-12 Won Ton Wrappers
-The amount of Onion shown in below photo, leftover from another meal 
-Half can of Enchilada Sauce
-Garlic from a bottle (again, lazy)
-Green Chiles
-A big Pan
-A Cupcake Pan, coated with cooking spray

The good stuff.

Preheat the oven to 375° and get out your big pan.  Use a little Pam and cook your ground beef, together with the onions and garlic.  I add onions and garlic to basically every meal I cook.  You really can't go wrong with them.  I didn't have scallions as the original recipe called for.  To be quite honest, I wasn't even sure what they were, so I Googled them.  Some chef I am, huh?

If you can handle a little multi-tasking, step away from your big pan o' beef and cross the kitchen to your cupcake pan, which you have already greased up.  Because Won Ton wrappers are a little carbolicious, I forewent the double-layer and opted for a single wrapper per cupcake instead.  I really believe it was just as good.  As you can see, the size is fine.  You'll still have a full cupcake at the end.  Make sure to press them down into the pan, as you want maximum meat space.

A single Won Ton Wrapper will do just fine.
Once your meat is mostly cooked, add the enchilada sauce to the mixture.  I used green, but I'm sure red is good too.  I'll probably stick to green, though, since it worked so well for me.  Helpful hint: make sure you don't overcook the meat!  It still has to go into the oven for twenty minutes.   

Meat, Onion, Green Chile, Enchilada Sauce.
Fill each wrapper with a couple small spoonfuls of beef, then sprinkle your cheese of choice on top.  This is the first layer.  Ready to move on the the next layer?  I'll make it easy.  Repeat the first layer.  You're done.  Pop them in the oven for 18-20 minutes, and keep an eye on them.  The won ton wrappers will be a nice golden brown, and crispy too!


Ready to bake!
Okay, here's the icing on the [cup]cake.  While these are baking, let's whip up a quick avocado salsa.  This is my new guacamole replacement.  It is so good.  And so easy.  Start by dicing up a whole avocado and a quarter of a red onion.  You can use less, if you're not a true onion fan.  But you must use a little!

The stuff.
Mouth is watering...
A couple squirts of lime juice from a plastic lime, salt and pepper, and a little cilantro are all you need to complete the dish.  Toss together in a bowl, but don't mash, or else you've just made guacamole, and that's just not what we're about here.

Ding!  Your enchilada cupcakes are done.  Your avocado salsa is prepared.  Your stomach is growling.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment