Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

...to Construct an Edible Cornucopia.

So part one of my contribution to Thanksgiving was a wreath made out of an old shirt.  Part two will be a little less lasting, but a lot more delicious!  Nothing says "Thanksgiving!" more than a cornucopia filled with food...except a cornucopia made of food (and also filled with food)!  All you need is a can o' dough, an egg, a lot of foil, and maybe a pizza cutter.  It was supposed to be breadstick dough, but I could only find pizza crust dough.  Not sure if there's much of a difference.



Grab the foil and sculpt a cone, however large you want your cornucopia to be.  I ran out of foil, so instead of using three cans of dough, I only used one.  Now that I finished this, I'm glad I didn't have more foil, because it would have been a giant pain.  Once you've got the shape you want, spray it with cooking spray to keep the bread from sticking.  Now pop that can open!  You know it's the only reason you're trying this recipe.


Unroll the dough and try to resist taking a bite!  (Or am I the only one who likes to eat the dough...)  Cut it into strips.


Use a strip of dough and wrap up the pointed end of the foil.  Then start to add the strips of dough a couple at a time, and weave them like a basket up toward the large end of the foil.  Because we all know how to weave a basket.  Do your best.



Okay so it's not pretty at this point.  It looks rather sloppy, unfinished.  But there's a solution!

Not your best work.
 Braid three strips together and seal off the rim.  This gets rid of all those ugly leftover dough ends.  I used another strip to seal off the bottom edge as well, as my cornucopia was looking very uneven.  Oh yeah, then I built an octopus with chocolate chips for eyes.  Because when you have leftover dough, you gotta make a bread animal!



Now stir up your egg and brush it over the top to give it that shine you so desperately desire in a bread cornucopia!

Now you're talking! 
When it's cool enough to touch, separate the bread from the foil and just let it cool on top of the foil for a little while longer, to make sure it keeps its shape.  You're done!  Now go and fill it with food, and do a better job than I did.  Here are some suggestions:

Nope.

Hmm...too healthy. 

Now we're getting somewhere.

Jackpot!
Okay, so maybe plan on having something to fill your brand new Bread Cornucopia with before you actually make it, or like me, you'll be stuck with Oreos.  And about about the octopus, well...

Just perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment