Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

...to Make a Foam Board Storage Container.

If there's one thing I am always lacking, it is storage space!  If there's two things, it's storage space and enough sleep to get me through the day.  But for now, let's say there's only one and focus on that.  My bookshelves are loaded with two rows of books per shelf.  My closet, stuffed so tight I can barely see what I'm choosing to wear (explains a lot about my wardrobe, right?).  My art supplies are bustin' out of their clear plastic drawers, and my desk is covered with junk.

I can't do much about most of those storage problems, but I came across a fitting solution for my lack of art supply storage.  A container of sorts made entirely out of foam board and the artsy materials it will soon be holding.  I purchased four sheets of Dollar Tree foam board (for four dollars, obviously) for a future blog post, but that project was delayed a little while, so I will be using it up on something more immediate.

I cut my back board to the desired height and width.  You will need to decide how many compartments you want, and what they'll be used for.  It would really help to sketch out your design before you begin to build, but I didn't.  I should have, though.  Once you have a basic plan, cut some notches at the desired shelf heights to fit the thickness of the foam board.  Glue them in place using a hot glue gun.

Gluing is easy.  Getting perfect angles that all fit together is not.

Measure and cut notches on the first shelf, so the two pieces fit together like a puzzle.  Make sure to match up the notches in pencil before you cut them, otherwise you're going to have a crooked, less useful shelf.  Again, hot glue the seams.



I added in a second shelf the same way, and to make it a little less plain, I added in a middle divider on the top shelf and front panels on a few of the openings.  Drawers were a must, as I have a lot of paint, markers, and pencils floating around my room.  I wanted the option to remove a drawer and take it to my desk, instead of trying to empty it out every time I need a pen.


The white just wasn't doing it for me.  It looked sloppy and unfinished.  So, I took to Grandpa's garage and started digging for spray paint.  I could only manage to find "Under the Hood" car spray paint, so of course, that's what I used.  It ate away at the inside of the boards a little, but not enough to stop me.

I must admit, the fumes were getting to me.  I had to sit awhile after this.

It was time for a long break to make sure everything dried.  I moved it in the house, which was a mistake, as it soon filled the whole downstairs with it's odor, but with a rowdy dog and gardeners on the way, I wasn't going to risk leaving it outside.

I heart Mod Podge.  Makes everything fun!

After some hours had passed, I grabbed my leftover half-roll of wrapping paper from two years ago and a bottle of Mod Podge, and I cut the wrapping paper to fit the fronts of each drawer and the top of the container.  I loved this wrapping paper for gifts, and I love it now for projects.  The black part of the pattern is raised and velvety, and it gave this project exactly the texture it needed.  

Apply the Mod Podge, add the paper, and layer another coat of the 'podge on top. 

Like I said, I cut shapes for the drawers and top panel.  Let them extend past the edges, as your shapes may be irregular (or just cut poorly, as mine were).  You can trim the excess later, but make sure the paper has dried before you trim, or it may tear.  The Mod Podge will dry clear, it just takes a little time.

Still needs a little trimming at this point.

I felt like there was just something missing.  I went to the craft closet and found my Grandma's jar o' buttons, which she has been collecting off old shirts and pants for the last 50 years.  It was perfect.  I found six gold buttons of different styles that added the perfect amount of flare.  

This button had a "P" on it.  One had an eagle.

Finito!
And as soon as it dried (actually a little before, I was antsy!), I started filling my new decorative storage unit with my overflowing art supplies.  It just the right size, and there's still a lot more I can fill it with.  



The best part of this project was the price.  I only spent $4.00, and everything else I had at home.  And for a lazy Saturday with nothing else to do but catch up on Netflix shows, I really enjoyed being productive.  At least for a few hours of it.  

1 comment: